I’m not sure if this cathedral window wall hanging actually counts as a quilt, since it has no batting, but I’m going to go ahead and call it one. I’d been seeing cathedral windows in my Pinterest stream for a while, and thought I’d like to make one if only they didn’t have to be done by hand. Then I saw these pillows and knew I had to make some (still on my list), but I used those tutorials to machine-sew this hanging. This pin inspired me to change up the pattern a bit.
Here’s the finished quilt:
There are a couple places where it doesn’t lay totally flat, especially up at the top where I was just getting the hang of it, but overall it went remarkably well, especially since I was improvising the orange peels between the windows. I started out sewing one edge at a time, but quickly grew comfortable enough to pin and sew an entire row at a time.
One lesson learned for next time is not to let the corners of my posterboard template get too worn. I ended up with a lot of less-than-sharp corners, which made it hard sometimes to get the finished windows to look right. (Though looking at the pictures now rather than scrutinizing it up close, almost all the imperfections disappear. I love it when quilts are forgiving like that!)