This is my most ambitious quilt to date (finished quilt, anyway). It’s the biggest by far since I rebooted this hobby, and the first to get all-over free motion quilting. Here it is in its full glory:
I can’t take credit for the design; as usual, I fell in love with a picture on Pinterest, and this time I copied it as closely as possible (though I did change the size a bit). It now occupies the entire wall from floor to 9-foot ceiling on our basement stair landing, where I see it every time I go down to quilt.
This quilt marked my first time using a spray baste, and I doubt I’ll ever do it any other way now unless I need to use polyester batting for some reason. So much quicker than all those pins, and no shifting of layers no matter how I manipulated the quilt around my little machine.
Quilting this baby took almost a month, mostly because of all the starts and stops. I almost wish I had chosen a more all-over pattern, but with the individual Celtic knots for each stripe and diamond, I was able to use 9 different thread colors. I thought it would be a good idea to minimize the contrast while I’m still new at free motion quilting. It made for an interesting quilt back hiding against the wall.
I’m still using quilting paper; a little tedious to get it all torn away, but easier than marking everything on the quilt top. I also really like how the contrast lets me see the whole quilting design so well, and it’s easy to see where I’ve already quilted.
Nothing else new on this quilt – except, perhaps, the use of a yardstick to hang it, since it’s so much heavier than the little wall quilts I’ve made so far!