Little Ark Baby Quilt

This weekend I was honored to be godmother for my newest nephew, so of course I marked the occasion by making my very first baby quilt.

Oliver’s quilt, staged in my baby-to-be’s nursery

I quilted the gentle curves with my walking foot, but the border hearts are my very first free motion quilting.


I’m not at the point where I can do it freehand yet, but I found that quilting paper worked very well for me. (The curves were marked with a fabric pen.)

I used this method to make a label for the quilt.

I’ve never had the courage to wash one of my quilts before, but with a baby quilt you really have no choice (plus, I had marking pen all over the front). I’m happy to say that it came out just fine. Wrinkly, of course, the way all cotton quilts get, but the marking pen didn’t run, the appliqué letters didn’t fray, and it didn’t entirely shrivel up after going through the dryer on low. 

I call that a success. 😊

11 more weeks until my baby’s due; I’m beginning to suspect my list of projects is longer than my remaining time. I wouldn’t mind so much, except many of them are gifts meant for this summer or Christmas, and who knows when I’ll have time to finish them once there are two kids in the house. I’m estimating another month to finish the quilting on my current project; I chose a particularly time-intensive design (by accident) for my first quilt done entirely in free motion quilting. You’ll see it here when I’m done!

Advertisements

Easy Quilted Coasters

A long time ago, I made a few quilted coasters for my husband, but over the years they’ve mostly gotten lost or found permanent homes in places other than the kitchen/living room. Since our only other coasters are a set of heavy marble which must be kept far out of the toddler’s reach, I thought it was time to make a fresh set. And while I was at it, why not make some for my parents’ new house?

Our new coasters

Both sets are 2-sided, so you can flip them over for a different look. Most were quilted with a walking foot, but for the two on the ends of the photo, I was practicing my free motion quilting. I wish I had chosen less well-matching thread, since the quilting hardly shows up at all!

Where ours are solid, I played with the pattern a bit for my parents’.

My parents’ coasters

Each has one solid side and one striped.

My method evolved a bit as I went, since halfway through I discovered the existence of fusible fleece. For the first half, I needed an extra seam 1/4″ from the edge to secure the fleece to one side before sewing the back and front fabrics together (which seam I then traced after assembling the coaster to make both sides match). The fusible fleece eliminated that seam, which opened up more design possibilities for the quilting – not to mention making the coasters even faster to put together.

I made these 4.5″ square, so they’re the perfect little project for extra charm squares. I’m sure these aren’t the last coasters I’ll make!