Blue Waves: A Bargello Wall Quilt 

I’m long overdue on posting about my first Bargello quilt; I finished it over a month ago, but only recently managed to get it hung on the guest room wall (with some help from my husband).


As soon as I saw my first picture of a Bargello quilt, I knew I had to make one, and when I learned how easy they are, it moved right up the list. This mini quilt doesn’t have as much of the cool wave effect as I would’ve liked, but I think it came out well, and took less than a week from start to finish. (It was only afterward that I realized I could have cut the jelly roll strips lengthwise to get the full Bargello effect despite the smaller size. Ah, well. Next time.)

The jelly roll strips are all batiks I had in my stash, and the quilting was done with my walking foot. I wanted to try out spray basting, but the internet told me it doesn’t stick to polyester, and I had already cut the last of my polyester batting to size for it. Another thing for next time.

My next project is already finished, but it hasn’t been gifted yet, so it’ll have to wait a couple of weeks before I post about it. 😊 I also have another quilt top finished, awaiting some fmq practice before I tackle the quilting. In between quilts, I’ve made a couple sets of coasters, which I’ll post about later (you can actually see one set sitting on the nightstand in the picture above, a housewarming gift for my parents). Far less creative, but more practical, I’ve been adding belt loops to my toddler’s pants–size 12M are getting too short, but the 18M all slide right down his waist!

Dragonfly appliqué mini-quilt 


I got my latest project hung on the wall today. 😊 For me, this one made quilting into a real hobby (obsession?), instead of just a one-time thing. I was actually working on it concurrently with the hot air balloon, and did the appliqués on this first, as practice for the more intimidating, tiny pieces of the balloon. (Pattern available on Craftsy.) The borders were inspired by this quilt, but I have since seen many piano key borders.

I considered free motion quilting this one, but still need a lot more practice, so it was done entirely with a walking foot. The circles were pretty easy, though all the starting and stopping and burying of threads was a bit tiresome.


The borders turned out to be trickier than I expected. It was only after I started sewing that I realized it would take a miracle to get all the corners to line up perfectly. (They don’t, of course, but I don’t think they look too bad; and I got my start and finish to line up.) This was compounded by the fact that my only marking pen & pencil are both blue, and barely showed up. After a few false starts and some seam ripping, I figured it out.

I wanted to make cute little hanging pockets like on the hot air balloon, but my foldover binding doesn’t allow for it, so I stuck with plain old hanging loops.

I have 4 more quilts in progress, one of which should be done very soon, and 3 more in planning. Onward!